There are so many people in need in our communities and around the world. It can feel overwhelming to want to help but not know where to start. This list does not have to be applied to just Thanksgiving since so many are homeless and/or hungry every single day. Many people have various needs, so every little bit helps!
- Donate food: So many people in this world have no idea where their next meal is coming from, if they even get a meal at all. Donate food to a local food pantry or a food drive at your school or workplace. Be sure that the items are canned or nonperishable to ensure that they do not go bad before reaching the recipient.
- Donate clothes: Those who are homeless usually only have the clothes on their backs. Their clothes are often worn and battered. These clothes might not even be warm enough for cold days or chilly nights Donating clothes and jackets to various organizations, or even giving to those you see in need on the street, can help them stay warm.
- Donate supplies: While people think of only donating food, other items are also essential. Things like paper towels, feminine hygiene products, and diapers add up quickly but are needed. Check with your local food pantry or shelter to see if you can donate these kinds of things.
- Talk to everyone with kindness and humanity: Whether a person is a top CEO or a janitor, every person you come in contact with is important, so treat them as such. Do not talk down on anyone based on their status or job description. Everyone is important in society.
- Invite someone who is lonely to your Thanksgiving meal: If you know someone in your school or office who does not have a place to go for Thanksgiving, invite them to spend it with your family. They might have family in the area, if they have family at all. They will appreciate having someone who cares.